This post contains affiliate links.
Starting a blog isn’t as challenging as you may think. When I first started out blogging I was apprehensive because I didn’t know what all it entailed. I thought it was going to be extremely time-consuming, hard and honestly, I felt very overwhelmed at the very thought of it!
After I realized how easy it was to set up, I knew I had to share my experience with all of you! Starting a blog has been not only therapeutic but such a great experience for me. I highly recommend everyone who wants to start a blog to just do it! No matter what it is for, therapy, to help others, to make some extra money online, etc. it can be so rewarding.
So let’s get down to business, shall we?
If you plan on making money on your blog you will need to find paid hosting for your site.
I did so much research on all the hosting companies I could find because I wanted to make sure I was getting a great deal! Comparison shopping if you will. Bluehost was the best option by far! They had the absolute BEST deal, gave me so much for my money. After I compared them to the other companies I knew I made the right decision.
I HIGHLY recommend BlueHost. I have been with them for over a year now and their customer service alone will keep me a customer forever! Anything I ever had a question about any of my websites they always helped me find a solution. Knowledgeable and Courteous, what more could I ask for?
They are always having some sort of discount and offer for new signups!
Right now they have some awesome deals!
- $3.45 a month for web hosting. Normally it is $7.99 a month! That’s over 50% OFF!
- FREE domain name
- FREE website builder
- 1 click WordPress install (I LOVE this option!)
- 24/7 Customer Service (Which is top notch!)
- Money back guarantee!
- Over $150 in offers to help grow your blog! (I love getting freebies!)
FIND A PLATFORM
Again, if you plan to make any money on your site you will need to use the WordPress.org vs the WordPress.com
WordPress.org is my go to, it always has been. I really like the dashboard, it’s easy to navigate around and very user-friendly.
There are a TON of bloggers that use WordPress as their blogging platform. The designs are highly customizable, SEO friendly, and the plugins! They have over 45,000 plugins! I LOVE WordPress plugins! I use them on my site exclusively.
Some perks that I LOVE about WordPress.org
- FREE beautiful themes for just about any kind of blog out there
- Thousands of amazing plugins to get you going
- Responsive Sites (great for when people access your site through their mobile)
- Manage your site on the go (so important nowadays am I right?!)
SELECTING YOUR THEME
If you choose to go with WordPress.org for your platform you will find tons of FREE customizable themes. They have themes to fit just about any preference! Not even for just blogs but for any kind of website. Magazine style, sidebar or no sidebar, full page, parallax, etc.
You just can’t go wrong with the FREE beautiful themes!
There are also so many features you can filter through! This is my favorite part! I love that you can filter through the different themes. You can filter through layouts, features, and subject. This allows you to get some great themes that are customized to how you want your blog or site to look like.
You can also install WordPress themes on your dashboard. This is the easiest option as you can instantly install them, activate and customize them as you wish.
This is how I go through themes and decide on the one to use.
Once you got the theme you want to use installed click on activate to use it. Then you can customize it how you want! I was really surprised at how much you can customize the themes! You can upgrade some themes and get full control. The free themes still have a lot of customization available. I love being able to have control over the look and feel of my site.
CHOOSING YOUR PLUGINS
There are so many to choose from! Over 45,000 to be exact. The ones that I recommend to use for starters are :
- Akismet Anti-Spam – This will keep all the spammers away!
- Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights – I love that I can view my analytics right on my dashboard. You will definitely want to have a google analytics account so you can see how many people are visiting your site, the most popular pages and posts, demographics, their behavior on your site, etc.
- Yoast SEO – great for helping your SEO with your blog posts! This plugin helps me so much when adjusting my posts to a high ranking SEO score.
- Kiwi Social Share – beautiful and simple social share buttons.
CREATE GREAT CONTENT!
Creating great valuable content for your readers is going to be your goal. You want to help your readers which will help you gain trust and monetize your blog.
Go to Posts on your dashboard and create your first blog post!
I hope you found this helpful in starting your own blog!
Do you use WordPress? What plugins do you use on your own blog?